- Southwest Elementary Global Academy
- Student Support Services
Student Support Services
School Social Worker
Ms. Sonia Padial, School Social Worker
Hello. My name is Sonia Padial and I am the school social worker for Southwest Elementary Global Academy (SWEGA) and Pickett Elementary School. I hold a bachelor’s of social work (BSW) and am currently working to complete my master’s in social work (MSW) in May 2022. I am passionate about helping students succeed in the classroom as I believe a great education is the key to success in life. Eliminating barriers to learning as early as possible in a student’s academic career only serves to increase the likelihood of academic success. In May 2021, I completed my internship for my master’s degree in social work (MSW) as a school social worker in the rural parts of Chatham County, North Carolina. I have a special interest in how trauma can affect learning, attendance, and behavior along with finding ways to implement trauma informed practices and embed strategies in the school setting to create a trauma sensitive culture in which all children and staff feel safe and supported. I also believe empowerment, self-determination, and presumed competence are key components to successfully work with children and families in the school setting.
Furthermore, as the mother of two boys with exceptional abilities who are now in college, I have 20 years of lived experience advocating for my kids and have learned how to navigate many different systems in North Carolina. Additionally, growing up in a military family that moved every three years has allowed me to develop cultural competence that enables me to serve many diverse populations across different socioeconomic backgrounds.
While I hold a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) from North Carolina State University, I believe that my life experiences and internship have provided me a wealth of information and intangible assets that cannot be taught in any classroom such as wisdom, thinking outside of the box, seeing/identifying an entire issue, understanding sensory issues, finding strengths, an ability to truly empathize with others and understanding empowerment. Some other highlights about me include:
- Case Management Skills
- Experience with the IEP Process
- Understanding brain injuries/the Return to Learn Concussion Protocol
- Advocacy for mental health reform
- Interactions with many systems in North Carolina
- Member PAIMI Advisory Council-Disability Rights NC
Ms. Little, School Counselor
Hello my name is Ms. Derezma Little, I am the proud Professional School Counselor at Southwest Elementary Global Academy! I have been a licensed School Counselor for a total of 8 years and I have worked for Lexington City Schools for a total of 8 years.
I am Thankful for the opportunity to work with students and families!
My educational background:
- Human Services degree with a Bachelor of Science from Wingate University
- Professional Mental Health Masters degree from Webster University
- Post Master Certification In Professional School Counseling from University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Please see below more in detail some of the services I provide for your child at SWEGA!
- School Counseling services are delivered in five specific ways:
Individual student counseling:assisting students with goal formation/planning (behavioral, academic, etc.)
- Small group counseling
- Classroom Guidance-(Counseling Curriculum designing,structuring,and delivering classroom lessons so that students develop specific outcome-driven competencies in all grades 1st-5th and driven by the needs of the school population i.e. Large group counseling.
- Responsive Services- meeting immediate student needs (counseling, crisis intervention, consultation, referral, peer mediation, information-providing)
More professional services/duties I provide:
- Attend and participate in academic intervention meetings.
- Observe students in various school environments.
School Resource Officer
SRO Information Coming Soon!